Everyone’s heard of YouTube and how it’s big and stuff. But here are some YouTube stats that you probably didn’t know.
Whether you’re a YouTube content creator, video editor, or you’re trying to market your brand and business on YouTube, these YouTube statistics are pretty much a guaranteed must-know.
Let’s get right into it.
1. 81% of 15-25 year-olds in the U.S. use YouTube.
2. Over 2 Billion logged-in users visit YouTube each month.
3. Every day people watch over a billion hours of video and generate billions of views.
4. Nearly 15% of YouTube traffic comes from the U.S.
5. Every minute, 500 hours of video are uploaded on YouTube. This means 720,000 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube daily.
6. YouTube’s recommendation algorithm accounts for 70% of what people watch.
7. On average, visitors spend 11 minutes and 24 seconds a day on YouTube.
8. 10% of YouTube accounts created made 70% of the most popular YouTube videos to date.
9. 10% of the most popular YouTube videos account for nearly 80% of all views.
10. YouTube is the second most-preferred platform for watching video on TV screens among 18 to 34 year olds, with Netflix in all its glory at first place.
11. Over 60% of people prefer watching videos on online video platforms rather than on TV.
12. YouTube will make 5.5 billion dollars in advertising revenue in 2020.
13. 70% more YouTube users are engaging with creators and channels.
14. The domain name “YouTube.com” was activated on February 14, 2005.
15. More than 70% of YouTube views come from mobile devices.
16. 62% of businesses use YouTube as a channel to post video content.
17. Searches of “how to” videos on YouTube are growing 70% year on year.
18. Among millennials, YouTube accounts for two-thirds of the premium online video watched across devices.
19. Almost 80% of marketers consider YouTube to be the most effective video marketing platform.
20. 90% of people say they discover new brands or products on YouTube.
21. YouTube is the most popular channel for digital video consumption.
22. Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 billion on October 9, 2006.
23. Over 90% of 18-44-year-old American internet users watch videos on YouTube.
24. PewDiePie is the most popular YouTube channel, with 93 million subscribers.
25. The most popular branded YouTube channel is LEGO, which has over 7.1 million subscribers and has received over 8.7 billion views.
26. You can navigate YouTube in a total of 76 different languages.
27. Approximately 20% of the people who start your video will leave after the first 10 seconds.
28. The annual cost of running and maintaining YouTube is $6,350,000,000.
29. YouTube reaches 95% of the global internet population.
30. Youtube.com is the second most visited website in the world.
31. Inclusive ads yield 30% higher views on YouTube than other ads.
32. The best time to post on YouTube is between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
33. 40 minutes is the average YouTube viewing session.
34. The most disliked video on YouTube is “YouTube Rewind 2018: Everyone Controls Rewind,” with over 17 million dislikes.
35. The number of channels with over a million subscribers increased by 65% year over year.
36. The first YouTube video is called “Me at the Zoo”.
37. Men speak 2x as much as women in YouTube ads, and receive 56% of overall screen time.