Whether you’re just starting your blog, trying to increase your authority, or performing content marketing for a company, it’s important to know what’s going on in the world of business blogging.
Don’t have a blog yet? Get started with Bluehost for $3.95/month with my link below.
Let’s dive right into it.
General Blogging Stats
• There were just 23 blogs on the internet in 1999.
• In 2020, there were over 600 million active blogs in the world.
• The number of US bloggers sped past 28 million in 2015.
• About 5.8 million blog posts are published each day.
• It takes bloggers 3.5 hours on write a blog post, on average.
• There are more than 20 billion page views by over 405 million monthly viewers.
• Readers generate about 77 million blog comments each month.
• Back in 2014, bloggers published a couple of posts a week, but now, 66% of bloggers only publish a few posts each month.
• 53.3% of bloggers are between 21 and 35.
• 54% of bloggers have editor or proofreaders to review their blog posts while 46% of bloggers edit their own work.
• Of all internet users, 77% of them read blogs.
• Roughly 40% of readers prefer listicle-type headlines.
• On average, readers will spend just 37 seconds reading a blog post.
• Websites that have blogs tend to have more indexed pages than sits that don’t. In fact, the former has an estimated 434% more indexed pages than the latter.
• Out of all trustworthy sources for getting information online, blogs are rated #5.
• 17% of readers prefer a “how to” headline when searching for online information.
• In the US, internet users tend to spend 3x the amount of time on blogs compared to emails.
• There are roughly 32 million bloggers in the US alone, a huge increase from the 22 million in 2014.
• By 2018, the number of bloggers in California surpassed the total number of bloggers in Canada.
• The most popular blogging language is English (not too surprising).
Key Blogging Trends
• WordPress is used by about 76.5 million blogs in the world.
• On Google SERPs, approximately 33% of all clicks goes to the first result.
• Aim for 11-14 words for the perfect blog headline.
• There are 16x more posts with just a mere 1000 words than posts that border 2000 words.
• If you want to rank a blog post, the optimal word length is 2,250-2,500 words.
• The average blog post now has just 1,151 words.
• Of all companies’ blog posts, just 18% of them have over 750 words.
• Longer pieces of content tend to be better at generating leads than short posts. Not convinced? How about a metric: 9x better?
• By prioritizing business blogging, marketing ROI can be increased by 13x.
SEO Blogging Stats
• According to 72% of marketers, content creational is by far the most effective tactic for online marketing.
• Inbound marketing is bound to generate the best leads with regards to quality, according to 60% of marketers.
• Search engines account for beginning 68% of all online experiences.
• Nearly 75% of the top ranking pages have meta data while 25% don’t.
• As much as I’d like to say 0% of Google searchers still click on page 2 of SERPs, the number still stands at a strong .78%.