Key Spotify Statistics
1. Spotify was founded in 2006 in Stockholm, Sweden, by Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon, though launched officially in 2008.
2. Spotify went public in April 2018, with a market cap of $26.5 billion after the first day of trading.
3. The world’s biggest four music labels are responsible for 87% of content available on Spotify.
4. Its rivals include Deezer, Pandora, and most ominously Apple Music, which is aggressively seeking to gain market share.
5. 286 million monthly active Spotify users.
6. 130 million of these are Spotify Premium subscribers.
7. Spotify can lay claim to 36% of the global streaming market.
8. The average hours spent listening to Spotify per month stands at 25 hours.
9. 44% of users listen to Spotify on a daily basis.
10. Over 50 million tracks available on Spotify.
11. Drake, WizKid and Kyla”s “One Dance” the first song to surpass 1 billion streams.
12. Post Malone was the most listened-to artist of 2019 with 6.5 billion streams.
13. Sheeran’s “Shape of You” most listened to song in Spotify’s history with close to 2.5 billion streams (April 2020)
14. Sheeran is also the most followed artist, with 62.9 million followers (April 2020)
15. Drake currently leads the way in monthly streams, at 43 million
16. Around a third of Spotify listening time is spent on Spotify-generated playlists, with another third going on user-generated playlists.
17. “Today’s Top Hits” playlist is followed by 26 million people (April 2020).
18. Other influential playlists include “RapCaviar” with over 12.8 million followers and “¡Viva Latino!” with 10.6 million followers (April 2020)
19. Average users listen to 41 unique artists per week
20. Spotify quarterly revenue in Q1 2019 stood at €1.85 billion ($2 billion), €1.7 billion ($1.84 billion) of which came from Spotify Premium subscribers
21. Spotify quarterly revenue in Q1 2020 stood at €1.85 billion ($2 billion), €1.7 billion ($1.84 billion) of which came from Spotify Premium subscribers
22. Gross profit in the same quarter was €472 million ($511 million), with operating loss at €17 million ($18 million)
23. Spotify annual revenue in 2019 at €6.7 billion ($7.3 billion), with gross profit of €1.7 billion ($1.8 billion)
24. Estimates vary on how much a Spotify stream is worth to artist: from $0.006-0.0084 to as low as $0.00318/stream
25. Spotify went public in April 2018, with a valuation of $26.5 billion by the end of the first day’s trading.
26. Spotify market cap in early May 2020 was $26.9 billion.
27. Highest market cap to date is $35 billion during Q3 2018.
Spotify User and Usage Statistics
1. There were 286 million monthly active users of Spotify according to the company’s Q1 2020 report.
2. Out of Spotify’s hundreds of millions of active users, 130 million were Spotify Premium subscribers.
3. Globally, Spotify is available in 79 markets.
4. In 2019 more than 60 million users engaged with the ‘Spotify Wrapped’ feature, sharing content 40 million times and streaming 6.5 billion songs from the playlists.
5. Over 16% of Spotify MAUs engage with podcast content, with over 700,000 titles available.
6. Spotify picked up two million users in India within two months of its February 2019 launch.
7. North America’s share of Spotify MAUs has fallen to 26% from 35% over the period of 2016-2020.
8. In the US, Spotify was overtaken by Apple Music as the biggest subscriber music service in July 2018.
9. In April 2019, Apple was reported to have pulled further ahead, with 28 million US subscribers to Spotify’s 26 million.
10. In 2018, it launched across 13 countries in the Middle East and North Africa.
11. As of April 2019, it was thought that Apple is growing at a slightly faster rate than Spotify (2.4-2.8% compared to 2-2.3% respectively).
12. Spotify is estimated to have a 36% market share of the then 305 million total streaming service subscriptions globally.
13. Spotify is the most-popular channel with under-30s, with only US-specific Pandora coming close.
14. Interesting, the third-biggest age bracket is the over 55s.
15. 40% of listeners are trained solely on domestic artists which shows that listeners are diversifying their Spotify listening.
16. Spotify itself reports that ad-supported listeners listen to 2.5 hours per day on average.
17. Sources indicate that 44% of monthly-active users use Spotify on a daily basis.
Spotify Content Statistics
1. Spotify currently lists over 50 million songs, as well as over 700,000 podcast titles.
2. Reportedly, 40,000 new songs are added to the platform every day.
3. Both Apple Music and Amazon Music claim libraries of over 60 million songs. Deezer offers up a more precise 56 million, while Google Play Music is a little way behind, on 40 million – giving them all a lead over Spotify regarding music libraries.
4. It took eight years of Spotify for one track to reach 1 billion streams, and 10 years for 10 songs to reach this threshold.
5. For many years the most-played artist of the year was an arms race between Drake and Ed Sheeran.
6. Billie Eilish’s WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? was the most-listened album of 2019.
7. BTS surpassed 5 billion streams over 2019, making them the first K-Pop band to do so.
8. 2019 marked the last year of the second decade of the 21st century, thus Spotify revealed some stats about markers for the decade.
9. In total, nearly 17 million years-worth of music was streamed over the first 10 years of Spotify.
10. When it comes to the most-followed artists, Sheeran again takes it, with 62.9 million followers (as of late April 2020).
11. Queen’s 1975 hit “Bohemian Rhapsody” is the 35th most streamed song on Spotify. It is the sole representative of the 20th century in the top 100.
12. The most-streamed song in a single day is “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey, which racked up 12 million streams on Christmas Eve 2019.
13. Streams of “Cielito Lindo”, an unofficial Mexican football anthem, increased by 1,854% after the national team’s historic victory over then defending champions Germany.
14. Streams of “Gangnam Style” went up by no less than 2190% after they also deposed the winners of 2014.
15. Over 4 billion playlists exist on the platform, according to Spotify itself.
16. Around a third of Spotify listening time is spent listening to Spotify-curated playlists.
17. Around a third of Spotify listening time is spent listening to Spotify-curated playlists.
18. Just over another third goes on listening to user-generated playlists.
Spotify Revenue Statistics
1. In Q1 2020, Spotify revenue stood at €1.85 billion.
2. In terms of operating margin, Spotify remains in the red, though a deficit of €17 million.
3. Spotify 2019 revenue came to a total of €6.7 billion ($7.3 billion), with gross profit of €1.7 billion.
4. Spotify’s total pre-tax losses in 2019 came to €131 million over 2019 ($142 million), an improvement over 2018’s €173 million ($187 million) before tax.
5. Of Spotify’s revenue in Q1 2020, €1.7 billion ($1.85 billion) came from Premium subscribers.
6. Ad-supported users generated just €148 million ($161 million).
7. Spotify pays out around 52% of revenue to record labels, who would then pay their artists anywhere from 15% to 50% of that, depending on their status.
8. Over 85% of music streamed from Spotify belongs to four record labels: Sony, Universal, Warner, and Merlin.
9. In 2017 Spotify singed a deal to pay a minimum of $2 billion to two undisclosed labels.
10. Spotify claims to have paid €15 billion ($16.3 billion) out to music rights holders over the course of its existence.
11. Back in 2015, a Spotify stream was estimated to be worth about $0.006 to 0.0084 to an artist, meaning a million streams would translate as $7,000.
12. Taylor Swift went so far as to remove her music from the platform, though returned a few years later after her 1989 album surpassed 10 million sales.
13. Spotify claims to pay 70% of revenue back to the music industry.
14. In April 2018, Sony sold half of its stock in Spotify, worth a 6% of the company, for $750 million.
15. In total, streaming accounted for 56.1% of music industry revenue – a total of $11.4 billion.
16. Spotify’s 2019 subscription revenue comes to €6.1 billion – or $6.61 billion.
Sources: Business of Apps, Spotify Investors, The Verge, Goodwater Capital, Spotify
More Stats from RickyWang.com:
1. Website Statistics
2. Content Marketing Statistics
3. Email Marketing Statistics
4. YouTube Statistics
5. Blogging Statistics